CA's security chief in Dhaka to examine England tour arrangements

Australia cancelled their Test tour of Bangladesh in 2015 due to a security threat © STR/AFP

Nizamuddin Chowdhury, Bangladesh Cricket Board’s chief executive officer, has termed the arrival of Cricket Australia’s head of security Sean Carroll in Dhaka on Thursday as “encouraging.” Australia are due to arrive in Bangladesh in August 2017 to fulfill the two-Test tour of 2015 that was postponed due to security concerns.

Carroll travelled with the England team convoy from their hotel to the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur to sample the security arrangements put in place for the tour. It is understood that he will further examine the system during the second Bangladesh-England Test starting Friday.

The move is seen as a positive consequence of England’s willingness to tour after being given security assurances by the Bangladesh government following concerns since the July 1 terrorist attack in Dhaka.

“We are aware of Sean Carroll’s arrival,” Chowdhury told ESPNcricinfo. “He came today, and travelled with the England convoy to take a practical look at the security arrangements. He will be here for a few days. During the England tour, the Australia high commission has also kept in touch with us about the security arrangements.

“It is certainly an encouraging sign, as it shows that they are keen to have a look at our security arrangements and are positive about coming in August next year.”

Australia deferred the tour of Bangladesh last year following a government advisory. Cricket Australia also didn’t send their team for this year’s U-19 World Cup in Bangladesh. Although chief executive James Sutherland had said in April that they were keen to fulfill their commitments in 2017, the terror attacks in Dhaka on July 1 put question marks on the tour.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo’s Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.


Source: ESPN Crickinfo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.