Cricket South Africa President Chris Nenzani speaks at the inaugural player draft of the T20 Global League
In response to being publicly attacked by three of the eight owners of team in the cancelled T20 Global League, Cricket South Africa has “welcomed interest,” from the businessman they have angered. The Durban Qalanders and Nelson Mandela Bay Stars threatened CSA with legal action unless owners are reinstated while the Bloem City Blazers asked South Africa’s sports ministry to intervene, but CSA has focused on the fact the trio still want to work in cricket in the country.
“The fact that they want to be part of it is an encouraging response and this confirms that they believe, as we indeed do, that our new T20 is a good product that compares with the best international standards,” Thabang Moroe, CSA’s acting CEO said in a statement released on Friday morning.
Moroe’s comments came after statements from Nelson Mandela Bay Stars and Bloem City Blazers earlier in the week, the latter accusing CSA of dishonesty, miscommunication and poor planning, none of which were addressed by Moroe. CSA had earlier this week said it would not “debate this matter through the media,” as it was in the process of planning a new tournament. The board stuck to this line and left the door open for the former owners to become involved once the details of the yet-to-be-named competition, which CSA co-owns with pay-television broadcaster SuperSport, are finalised.
“At the same time, it is essential that we follow process in the development of our T20 strategy which in the first place required us to resolve the outstanding issues from last year,” Moroe said. “As has been well documented, the key to the postponement was the inability to secure key stakeholders and revenue streams. We have now secured a broadcasting equity partner and are currently engaging potential sponsors. Once those parties are secured as a collective the business plan will be finalised. We will then be in a position to clarify what we can propose and offer to other stakeholders.”
SuperSport, who the owners have also pointed a finger at for becoming involved with CSA’s tournament even though the broadcaster refused to pay the rights the board initially demanded for the Global T20 League, have also played down the effects of owner unhappiness. “CSA has advised us that it is dealing with those concerns,” SuperSport told ESPNcricinfo. “They do not impact on our relationship with CSA.”
Source: ESPN Crickinfo