Kolkata: Cleared by ICC of suspect bowling action, West Indies off-spinner Sunil Narine would be more dangerous and confident in the ninth edition of the Indian Premier League, Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Gautam Gambhir said here on Saturday. (ICC clears Sunil Narine’s remodelled bowling action)
Giving full confidence to the embattled Windies offspinner, who had pulled out of their triumphant World Twenty20 campaign, Gambhir said: “I feel that he will be far more confident this year than last year.
“He has worked on his action, he’s got the monkey off his back. He can go into the game with freedom knowing that everything is sorted. He was always under scrutiny. I think you will see the best of him this year around.” (Shakib: Narine is still KKR’s best bowler)
With 74 wickets in four IPL seasons, the Trinidadian played a key role in Knight Riders winning the titles in 2012 and 2014.He was suspended in November, after being reported during an ODI in Sri Lanka, and his last appearance came at the Bangladesh Premier League.
The ICC said that Narine’s retest took place on March 28 in Chennai. He is now free once again to play in international and domestic competitions.
Narine who has gone back home after his father’s demise would be available from the second match against Mumbai Indians April 13, Gambhir said while adding that another West Indian Andre Russell would be available for tomorrow’s match against Delhi Daredevils.
Gambir stressed on the importance to start well especially after their slide last season when they had slipped to fifth place.
“Everyone is excited and looking forward to good start. I always believed if you can get off to a good start, it takes a lot of pressure of you. This is what we have realised last year as well. We were at the top after 12 games and suddenly we slipped to no five. Hopefully we start off well and continue that into the entire tournament.”